- Community Connections
- Court Facility Improvement Project
- Emergency Services
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Grants Management
- Healthy Franklin County
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Penn State Cooperative Extension
- Reentry Coalition
- Register & Recorder
- Voter and Election Information
April 10, 2023
Deadline Fast Approaching To Register To Vote
CHAMBERSBURG, PA -- Franklin County Voter Registration Office shares the following important information on key dates ahead of Pennsylvania’s May 16 Municipal Primary Election.
How do I submit my initial voter registration application or change of name, address and/or party affiliation?
1. Submit online by going to register.votespa.com.
2. By mail in one of two ways:
- Obtain a state or federal voter registration mail application from a candidate, political party or other federal, state or municipal office. You may also request one from the Department of State’s website, www.vote.pa.gov.
- Download the voter registration application from the Department of State’s website, www.vote.pa.gov, or from the Franklin County website, www.franklincountypa.gov.
IMPORTANT: If you are already registered and just need to update your information, you will need to check one of the boxes on the voter registration form to either Change Name, Change Address and/or Change Party.
3. Apply at a government agency. Clients of these government agencies may apply to register to vote or make a change to their registration at:
- State offices that provide public assistance and services to persons with disabilities:
- Armed forces recruitment centers
- A county’s Clerk of Courts office
- Area Agencies on Aging and county mental health/intellectual disabilities offices
- Centers for independent living
What is the deadline to register to vote or change my name, address and/or party on my voter registration?
The deadline to apply for a change of name, address and/or party or to make a new registration for the upcoming Municipal Primary Election is May 1. If your application is received or postmarked after that date, it will be processed for the 2023 Municipal Election in November. Once the application is processed, each voter will receive a voter registration card in the mail, which will notate the location of their polling place.
If you are currently registered as an Independent or with any minor political party (i.e. Green, Libertarian, Constitutional, etc.), you will not be able to vote for any candidates at the upcoming Municipal Primary. Pennsylvania has a closed primary voting system, which allows only registered Democrats and Republicans to vote for their parties’ candidates in the primary. If you wish to vote for all of the candidate races, you will need to change your party affiliation to either Democratic or Republican prior to May 1.
Any questions concerning registering to vote or updating a voter’s registration information should be directed to the Franklin County Voter Registration Office at 717-261-3886 or the Franklin County Election Board at 717-261-3810. Additional election and voter registration information is available on the Franklin County website, www.franklincountypa.gov.
Return to list.