April 19, 2021

Independents Will Be Able To Vote on Constitutional Amendments and Statewide Referendum Question ONLY

If you are currently registered as an Independent or with any minor political party (i.e. Green, Libertarian, Constitutional, etc.), you will NOT be able to vote for any candidate at the upcoming Municipal Primary to be held on Tuesday, May 18, 2021.  Pennsylvania has a closed primary voting system which allows only registered Democrats and Republicans to be able to vote for their parties’ candidates in the primary.

Those registered Independent or with a minor political party will be eligible to vote for three (3) Proposed Constitutional Amendment questions and one Statewide Referendum question. Upon showing up to the polling place to vote on May 18th, the only thing on the Non-Partisan ballot will be these questions with a Yes/No voting option.

If you wish to vote for all of the candidate races including County Treasurer, School Director, Mayor, Township Supervisor, Councilperson, Tax Collector, Constable, etc., you will need to change your party affiliation to either Democrat or Republican prior to Monday, May 3rd by doing one of the following:

How Do I  Submit My Change of Name, Address or Party Affiliation?

1) Online at register.votespa.com, which is available in both English and Spanish.

2) In person at the Franklin County Voter Registration Office located in the new Administration Building, 272 North Second Street, Chambersburg from 8:30-4:30, Monday - Friday.  

3) By mail in one of two ways:

  • Obtain a state or federal voter registration mail application from a candidate, political party and other Federal, State, and municipal offices.  You may also request one from the Department of State’s website at www.votespa.com.

  • Download the voter registration application available from the Department of State’s website at www.votespa.com or from the County’s website at www.franklincountypa.gov


IMPORTANT:  If you are already registered and just need to update your information, you will need to check the applicable box(es) on the voter registration form to either Change Name, Change Address and/or Change Party.

4) Apply at the Department of Transportation photo license center when you obtain or update your driver’s license.

5) Apply at a government agency.  Clients of the following government agencies may apply to register to vote or make a change to their registration at:

  • State offices that provide public assistance and services to persons with disabilities

  • Armed Forces Recruitment Centers

  • County’s Clerk of Courts Office

  • Area Agencies on Aging & County Mental Health/Intellectual Disabilities Offices

  • Centers for Independent Living

What is the Deadline to Change my Name, Address and/or Party on my Voter Registration?

The deadline to apply for a Change of Name, Address and/or Party or to make a New Registration for the upcoming Municipal Primary is Monday, May 3rd. If your application is received or postmarked after that date, it will be processed for the 2021 Municipal Election in November.  Once the application is processed, each voter will receive a voter registration card in the mail which will notate the location of their polling place.

Any questions concerning updating a voter’s registration information should be directed to the Voter Registration Office at (717) 261-3886 or the Franklin County Election Board at (717) 261-3810.  You will also find additional election and voter registration information at the County’s website, www.franklincountypa.gov.


Return to list.